- Programs are subject to change. See our website and announcements for the latest information.
- All programs are held at the JCA, unless otherwise noted.
- JCA closures will be announced via WCSH, WGME, WMTW, and on www.mainejewish.org and the JCA’s voicemail at (207) 772-1959.
Cloth Diapering: Learn Why, Learn How, Win Prizes!
Thursday, June 6, 10:00 AM
The Opportunity Alliance - 190 Lancaster Street, Third Floor, Portland, ME 04101
The Portland office of The Opportunity Alliance WIC program is excited to partner with Michael Klahr Jewish Family Services & Maine Families of Cumberland County to host a cloth diapering class next month. We love cloth diapers because they save money & have lower environmental impact than disposables, can be passed along to other babies when potty independence is achieved, are less likely to cause diaper rashes, are super cute to boot!
Michael Klahr Jewish Family Services Director, Karli Efron, who is also a local mama & cloth diaper enthusiast, has graciously offered to teach this class which is open to the public. She will cover:
- The benefits of cloth diapering
- Different cloth diaper types & “systems”
- The logistics (what to do with the poop!)
- Best practices for laundering
- Prepping & stripping (when it is necessary & when it isn’t)
- Stain removal (SUN SUN SUN!)
- Gear – what ya need & what ya don’t
- Maine law surrounding childcare & cloth
- Leak prevention
- Questions & Answers
Income eligible families can receive a long term loaner diaper kit thanks to a collaboration with the local diaper bank and Jake’s Diapers after completing a low barrier application process that Karli can complete onsite at the class, over the phone, or at another date. Families who plan to purchase their own cloth diapers are very much encouraged to attend the class, and may just win some fancy fluff for doing so! A note: While cloth is certainly way easier for families who own their own washing machine, there are options for inexpensive portable washing machines that hook up to a kitchen faucet – Karli is happy to explain this solution in more detail.
For more information or to request translation services please email: email@example.com or call (207) 772-1959
Heart to Heart Support Group
Every forth Wednesday of the month at 7:00 PM
Free. All are welcome.
Please join Michael Klahr Jewish Family Services and Heart to Heart Peer support for parents grieving the loss of a pregnancy or infant.
This is a safe space for parents at any stage in the grieving process – having lost in the last week, month, year, or decade.
We’ve been through it and we’re here for you.
Please contact Karli Efron with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-772-1959