PJ Library Engagement Connector
The Jewish Community Alliance of Southern Maine’s mission is to enhance and promote Jewish life and continuity locally, in Israel and throughout the world, and to generate the financial resources to develop, provide and support diverse programs, education and services in order to accomplish these goals.
PJ Library in Southern Maine provides age-appropriate, relevant, and fun activities and programming for families with children ages 0-8, as well as sending free Jewish-themed books monthly to enrolled families. We are seeking one 12 hour/week Engagement Connector or two 6-8 hours/week Connectors covering different geographic areas to serve as the welcoming face/s of the Jewish community and ambassador/s for PJ Library by expanding and deepening engagement opportunities for families raising Jewish children across Southern Maine.
The PJ Library Engagement Connector role requires excellent interpersonal skills, an outgoing and friendly communication style, and ideally, experience working with young children and their families. The successful candidate/s will demonstrate a pluralistic approach to Jewish practice, good judgement, discretion, and sensitivity, and will have excellent project- and time-management skills. Training and support is provided by the JCA as well as the Harold Grinspoon Foundation, which also offers resources and materials to help support the program.
Under the supervision of the JCA Director of Programming and in coordination with other PJ Library staff, the PJ Library Engagement Connectors:
- Build relationships with local families in the Southern Maine Jewish community, and help them connect with each other and to local and virtual opportunities to engage in Jewish life, programming, or learning
- Identify and welcome families who are newly enrolled in the PJ Library database
- Contact parents in the PJ Library database in targeted locations, letting them know about engagement opportunities in the community, identifying interests and needs, and helping to create and connect them to neighborhood cohorts
- Plan and implement monthly PJ Library programming and experiences as needed, such as:
- Hosting and facilitating small coffee dates, playdates and playground meetups
- Following up with program participants with invitations to further connect
- Plan activities and provides support for special JCA children’s events (such as holiday celebrations)
- Utilize a spreadsheet to track, schedule and document interactions and follow up with PJ library families and engagement numbers
- Engage families through PJ Library social media
- Develop and maintain familiarity with the JCA’s programs, events, and initiatives
- Cultivate connections with local synagogue education/religious school staff and other children’s organization’s program staff to develop opportunities for collaboration
- Communicate with other PJ Library peers and colleagues about best practices, and participate in professional development opportunities (trainings, workshops, conferences etc.]
- Other related projects and tasks, as assigned by the JCA Director of Programming
- Outgoing, energetic self-starter with engaging interpersonal skills and experience networking and building relationships
- Familiarity with the different Jewish religious denominations, the Hebrew calendar, Shabbat and Jewish holiday rituals and customs
- Familiarity with the Jewish organizations and community of Southern Maine as well as secular children’s organizations and programming strongly preferred
- Strong computer proficiency: Excel, Word, email, internet; and willingness to learn and engage with database systems
- Reliable transportation
- College degree preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with children and young families a plus!
This position reports to the JCA’s Director of Programming, and the job is part time, 6-12 hours per week, at $20 per hour; occasional evening and weekend hours are required to staff special events, planned in advance. The position is non-exempt.
Think you’d be a great fit to join the JCA? Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled; only qualified applicants will be contacted.