The mission of the Jewish Community Alliance is to enhance and promote Jewish life and continuity locally, in Israel and throughout the world, and to generate the financial resources to develop, provide and support diverse programs, education and services in order to accomplish these goals. Our multi-faceted organization is comprised of several divisions including a NAEYC-accredited preschool, an ACA-accredited summer day camp, Michael Klahr Jewish Family Services (KJFS), and Southern Maine Hillel. Cultural programs include PJ Library, adult education courses, and community programming.
Southern Maine Hillel seeks a part-time Director to inspire and connect with Jewish students at four local institutions: University of New England (UNE), University of Southern Maine (USM), Southern Maine Community College (SMCC), and Maine College of Art (MECA).
Expectations: Direct Southern Maine Hillel, which provides support and programming for Jewish students at UNE, USM, SMCC, and MECA. The Director will maintain records of attendance and outreach and manage expenses according to the annual budget. The position will be supervised by the JCA Executive Director and will report regularly to the JCA Hillel Advisory Committee. A successful candidate for the position must interview with and be accepted by Hillel International (HI), and will work within the guidelines of HI throughout their tenure.
Outreach and Engagement:
- Develop one-on-one relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they are – in person, via email and on social media. Prepare and disseminate materials publicizing events and recruit student participation (e.g. fliers, brochure and other outreach);
- Represent the Jewish community on the USM Religious & Spiritual Life Council;
- Develop key relationships with professionals from the University’s student life programs, helping to ensure Jewish voices at the table within the broader University landscape, and developing support for Jewish and interfaith programs and activities;
- Host informational tables at orientations, student involvement fairs, and other campus events;
- Encourage all students, faculty and staff to participate in meaningful Jewish experiences, both on campus and through international travel;
- Work together with the JCA’s Community Relations Council and relevant Administrators to address anti-Semitism and anti-Israel events on campus
Programming: Run 5-7 programs per year, including Shabbat gatherings and holiday celebrations.
Development: Work to grow the financial resources of Southern Maine Hillel, including writing grants and creating development material, with support of the JCA’s Associate Director of Development
- Passion for building strong Jewish community at the college level;
- Familiarity with Judaism and Jewish practices is required;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite;
- Experience with social media outreach and marketing;
- Appreciates and supports data-driven and results-focused approaches to project management;
- Professional or volunteer experience in outreach and engagement.
This is a part-time position, with an expectation of 10 hours of work per week for 42 weeks, with an hourly wage of $14.25. The schedule will vary depending on programming needs throughout the year. Some weekend and evening availability will be required.
Interested applicants are encouraged to send a resume and cover letter to Hillel@mainejewish.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and interviews will begin after September 15, 2019.