Southern Maine Hillel Director - Part-time
The Southern Maine Hillel (SMH), a program of the Jewish Community Alliance of Southern Maine (JCA), seeks an energetic, outgoing and engaging Director to be a Jewish presence at the University of Southern Maine, University of New England, Maine College of Art and Southern Maine Community College - to reach out to students and connect them in meaningful ways to Jewish life and to participate in campus life as a Jewish voice. The SMH is affiliated with Hillel International, whose mission is to enrich the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world.
- Outreach and engagement
- Provide support to existing Hillel campus groups at UNE and USM.
- Develop relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they are – in person, over coffee dates, via email and social media. Prepare and disseminate materials publicizing events and recruit student participants.
- Maintain and strengthen key relationships with professionals from affiliate university and college student life programs, helping to ensure Hillel plays an active role in the institutional landscape, including through co-sponsorship of events and activities.
- Host a presence or table at welcome fairs at USM and UNE.
- Encourage students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds to participate in meaningful Jewish experiences.
- Coordinate a variety of events, which might include a fall Sukkot event, 2-4 Shabbat experiences, a spring Passover event, and a local travel opportunity (e.g. to the Conference on Jewish Life, the Hanukkah Party at Bowdoin, or to points of Jewish interest in Boston).
- Recruit for and potentially staff Hillel International activities, trainings, and immersion/travel experiences.
- Address anti-Semitism and anti-Israel related events on campus in an official capacity as a liaison between campus administrators and the JCA, Hillel, ADL, and other trainers.
- Planning and Initiative Implementation
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with the Hillel Advisory Committee, student leaders, and campus organizations.
- Maintain records of activity records, attendance, program evaluations and finances.
- Under the supervision of JCA development staff, write solicitation letters, semester reports, holiday greetings and thank you notes to donors.
- Research, write and report on grants approved by the JCA.
- Supervision and Professional Growth
- Liaise with the JCA Program Director or her designee
- Participate in regular trainings with Hillel International
- Participate in statewide gatherings of Hillel groups.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a team player and “people person” with an engaging, friendly, professional demeanor and positive attitude
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to consistently manage budgets and logistical details.
- Flexibility, openness, and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and diverse projects.
- Commitment to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion, and the ability to exercise discretion in sensitive situations
- Strong computer skills and high proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, social media platforms, email marketing such as Constant Contact, online survey tools, and the ability to learn new software platforms independently and quickly.
- Professional experience in nonprofit or Jewish communal work, volunteer management, program coordination, membership preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and work of Hillel and the JCA; familiarity with Judaism and Jewish customs and practices required.
- Proficiency with the JCA’s CRM software Neon preferred but not required.
This position reports to the Hillel Advisory Committee and liaises with JCA staff. This is a part-time, hourly exempt position for 15 hours per week, from August 1, 2022 through May 31, 2023. Some evening and weekend work is required.
Starting date: Summer 2022
Salary range: $20-22 per hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Interested in joining the JCA? Please send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.