Afterschool Support Teacher – Part Time
Afterschool support staff are mentors to the students who attend the JCA afterschool program. They ensure physical, psychological, and emotional safety for all the students.
JCA Afterschool Philosophy:
Every member of the JCA afterschool staff works together as role models to guide our students through their afterschool experience. Our programming is intentional and seeks to support students as they build confidence, make friends, explore new interests, discover their abilities, and learn new skills.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of students within activities and throughout the afterschool program in order to meet the intended student outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with students through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth.
- Assures students are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the implementation of program activities for students.
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide for a progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities.
- Assist in program areas such as athletics, nature, arts and crafts, drama, and others as directed.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for students and staff.
- Provide daily care for each student under your supervision.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to the Afterschool Coordinator.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety during all aspects of the program according to COVID-19 CDC regulations and standards.
- Be a role model to students and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example for campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
- Represent the afterschool program when interacting with parents or community members.
- Provide parents with appropriate feedback and information as needed for their students to have a successful after-school experience.
Support staff may be asked to use fire protection equipment and specialty program equipment. Some may be asked to drive JCA vehicles upon completion of prerequisite training.
Qualifications: (Minimum Education and Experience)
- Must be 16 years of age.
- First Aid/CPR Certified
- Ability to interact with all age levels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of the development needs of youth.
- Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner.
Physical Aspects of the Job:
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe student behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Some physical requirements of an afterschool support staff could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, climbing, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and youth activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.; willing to work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the sun, heat, cold, and animals such as bugs.
How to Apply:
All applications should include resume, and three professional references, and apply to the Chris at email@example.com
Resumes will be reviewed as they are received.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.